Saturday, February 4, 2023

3nm Antlia Narrowband Filters

I recently upgraded my ZWO 7nm Ha and OIII filters with the 3nm Antlia Pro filters and could not be happier. I purchased the ZWO filters as part of a kit when I purchased the ZWO ASI1600MM 5 years ago. I have been very satisfied with the ZWO filters as the did their job for a relatively inexpensive price. However, as my processing improved my images seemed to reach a maximum detail/sharpness yet I suspect they could have been better. Since then Antlia introduced a 3nm Pro version of their narrowband and at a price that I could afford. Astrodon and Chroma existed but they were a little out of my price range. So how good are these filters? I made two YouTube videos which show the experiments and results:

Just How Good is the Antlia 3nm OIII Filter?  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZ-KWoS-KY&t=11s

3nm Antlia Narrowband Filters - Part 2) Hydrogen 3nm vs. 7nm

Oxygen Comparison
I compared my new Antlia 3nm OIII Pro Imaging filter with my current ZWO 7nm OIII filter. Since I have an open position on my ZWO EFW, it was very convenient to make a good quality comparison. I hoped and expected the Antlia to perform better since it was 3nm vs. 7nm and I was not disappointed!

The experiment took place on 12-29-22 around 9 pm. I collected nine 5-minute subs of IC 410 using the ZWO OIII filter but only kept seven. I then switched to the Antlia OIII filter where I again collected nine 5-minute subs but kept eight. The temperature of the ZWO ASI1600 was set at -20 degrees C. 

Some the highlights:
- smaller stars including no halos around large stars
- increased sharpness and detail
- better nebula definition 

Hydrogen Comparison
I compared my new Antlia 3nm Ha Pro Imaging filter with my current ZWO 7nm Ha filter. Since I have an open position on my ZWO EFW, it was very convenient to make a good quality comparison. I hoped and expected the Antlia to perform better since it was 3nm vs. 7nm and I was not disappointed! 

The experiment took place on 1-16-22 around 9 pm. I collected three 5-minute subs of IC 410 using the ZWO Ha filter. I then switched to the Antlia Ha filter where I again collected three 5-minute subs. The temperature of the ZWO ASI1600 was set at -20 degrees C. No post processing was done on any of the images.

Some the highlights:
- smaller stars
- slightly increased sharpness and detail
- better nebula definition 

I plan on purchasing the 3nm Antlia SII filter in the near future. 
Lastly, no processing was done except stacking.

ZWO 7nm OIII Filter

Antlia 3nm OIII Filter

ZWO 7nm Ha Filter

Antlia 3nm Ha Filter

No comments:

Post a Comment