Thursday, March 26, 2020

NGC 2683

I am not really seeing the UFO look of spiral galaxy NGC 2683 but none the less it was nicknamed the UFO Galaxy by the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory.  Maybe I need a bigger telescope.  It was discovered by William Herschel in 1788 and is located between 16 and 25 million light-years away in the constellation of Lynx.   Although not seen in the image, astronomers believe it to be a barred spiral galaxy based on research.

So this was a stretch for my set up in that most of the really good images of this on Astrobin were done with telescopes much larger telescopes. I decided on this because it was available after I was done with my main target but it was still clear and I was awake.  It is also the second object without the focal reducer.  I collected some Ha and luminosity data but after reviewing the Ha data I decided it would not add anything and may detract from it.  The luminosity was collected on another questionable night and was not as sharp so I went with straight RGB.  I do like the so of the intricate structure in the central portion but this object is better done with a much larger telescope.

I captured Luminosity after originally post this so there are two images now.

With Luminosity & Gary Imm Deblotcher

With Luminosity

Without Luminosity

NGC 2683 - UFO Galaxy
Home Monroe, CT
Date: 3-7-20, 3-13-20, 3-17-20, 3-21-20, 3/27/20
Camera: ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro
Telescope: Astro-Tech AT115EDT 115mm Refractor Telescope
Barlow: None
Focal Length: 805mm
f/7
Focal Reducer: HoTech Self-Guiding Field Flattener for Refractor Telescopes
Mount: Orion Sirius
Filter Wheel: ZWO EFW 8 x 1.25"
Filter: ZWO L, R, G, B
Focuser: ZWO EAF
Autoguiding: ASI120 Mini attached to an Agena 50mm Guide Scope with Helical Focuser
Exposure: L 110 x 60s, R 38 x 90s, G 35 x 90s, B 27 x 90s
Gain: 139
Offset 21
Temp: 3 C
Processing: APT, PixInsight, Photoshop.
https://kurtzeppetello.smugmug.com/
http://astroquest1.blogspot.com/
http://youtube.com/c/AstroQuest1

No comments:

Post a Comment