Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Orion Atlas Mount Extension is the same diameter as Orion SkyView Pro Mount Extension

The Orion Atlas Telescope Mount Extension ($99.99) is the same diameter as Orion SkyView Pro Mount Extension ($99.99).  The Atlas Extension is 8.4" (21.3 cm) where as the SkyView Extension is a whopping 16" (40.64 cm) and both extensions have a 4" (102 mm) outside diameter.  The connection/adapters are different so you will still need to get both extensions if you want the larger length tube with the Atlas mount or visa versa.

     Orion SkyView Extension                                           Orion Atlas/Atlas Pro Extension
                                 

In Addition:
The Atlas Mount uses the same diameter adapter as the Atlas Pro Mount and I believe the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro Mount - both extensions should work.  The Sky-Watcher version of the smaller extension is Sky-Watcher Pier Extension for the EQ6 and EQ6-R mount.

Sky-Watcher Pier Extension for the EQ6


Also, the Orion SkyView Pro Telescope Mount Extension works with the original Orion Sirius Mount (discontinued) and I believe the original Sky-Watcher HEQ5, therefore, these extension swaps will work with these mounts as well!

Note:
The new Orion Sirius Pro AZ/EQ-G Mount and Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ5 have a different mount head adapter that bolts to a 3-5/8" (92 mm) diameter tube and will not work with this extension swap.

Orion Sirius Pro Extension


So why do I know all this?  


I have a concrete pier in my astronomy shed with a modified Orion SkyView Pro Mount Extension to hold my telescope.  In order to open the roof of my shed, I had to move the telescope as home orientation was too high.  It did not need to be so high as I have trees which block low altitude objects anyway.  I purchased a new Atlas Pro last year and noticed when I imaged past the meridian, the camera hit the leg so I knew I needed an extension.  When I started looking into purchasing the Atlas Extension I noticed it looked like the SkyView Extension only smaller.  I contacted Orion to check if they knew the tubes were interchangeable, they did not think it would work since the adapters were different.  However, since I was getting one Atlas Extension it could hurt to see if the bolt pattern and diameter lined up.  As luck would have it, the extension fit perfect and I order another extension for my mount.  Both the concrete pier and Atlas Pro Mount are happy!

         Orion SkyView Extension                                        Atlas Pro with Extension
                                    

It is too bad Orion or Sky-Watcher could not offer the tubes and adapters separately so you can chose what size lift you would like.  Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment