Sunday, February 3, 2019

Cable Management and Telescope Setup (2019)

Figure 1 - New Setup

Part 1 - New Setup
I am very excited right now as I have finished a year-long major upgrade with my imaging system.  The first was the addition of the ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro Camera and ZWO 8-Position Electronic Filter Wheel along with a full set of ZWO 1.25-inch color and narrow band filters.  The second upgrade was the addition of a new imaging telescope - an Astro-Tech AT115EDT F7 Refractor.  This is the first triplet I have owned and have been looking forward to this for a long time.

Figure 2 - Closeup

Attached to the focuser is an Astro-Tech 0.8 Focal Reducer/Field Flattener that is designed for this telescope.  The camera sensor is set 55 mm away from the back of the Flattener as recommended by Astro-Tech.  I first attached the Flattener not knowing it had to be 55 mm from the sensor and my first images were anything but flat.  In addition, everything in the optical train is threaded.

Part 2 - Cable Management
Cable management is something that evolves over time.  My first astrophotography setup was very simple, just a camera, mount, and telescope - I had no cable issues then.  Today there are four USB cables - 1) camera, 2) filter wheel , 3) autoguider, 4) mount; three power cables - 1) camera, 2)  mount, 3) dew heater; two dew heaters connections; and finally the computer cable.

Figure 3 - Before Cable Management 

Aside from looking really bad all of these cables need to be secured so they don’t catch on things or move when the wind blows which results in poorly guided images.  My first few years I had many a night where my guiding was terrible and as I thought my system was fine.  Only after buying more equipment and realizing I need to do something about my cables did my guiding issues diminish.

If you search cable management you will discover there are two main methods - 1) attach everything on the top of the imaging scope or on a bracket on the top of the scope or 2) attach everything to the mount and run a cable harness to the peripherals.

When I first started I purchased a Powered USB3 Hub and used Velcro straps to attach it to the telescope where more Velcro and twist ties were used for the USB cables.  I let the power cable fend for themselves.
Figure 4 - Top Mounted USB Hub

I was not completely satisfied with my system so when I received my new telescope I figured it would be time to do an upgrade.  Rather than attach the USB Hub to the top, I attached it on the metal riser using Velcro.  All of the USB cables along with the dew heater cables and camera power cord are now tied together as my main wiring harness.  The harness runs along the middle of the mount and is attached to the telescope with two Velcro straps.  It is very important to have the wiring harness meet the scope in the center of the mount so there is no drag.  The Astro-Physics Mach 1 has openings in the center of the mount to run cables through.  I have been using this system for a couple weeks now and am very happy with it. There is no dragging, the wires are more secure than they ever have been, and I can remove my telescope easily.  Easy removal is important for me as I have to do a lot imaging from a second location in my yard.

Figure 5 - Side Mounted USB Hub With Cable Harness

I have not done anything with the power cords yet, but may at some future point.  The likely improvements would be a Rig Runner or Pegasus Power Box.  Both of these methods would involve splicing new ends for connections. 

In addition, make sure you get a USB3 Hub and that all of your USB cables are USB3.  It will work with a USB2, however, the speed will be slower and you might suffer some additional hang ups.    

Items Used:
Plugable 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 36W Power Adapter

15 comments:

  1. Sounds Pretty,
    I like to read your post You shared a wonderful information about cable management products. Thanks for sharing this amazing stuff in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the feedback. - Cheers Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds Good,
    I like to read your blog. You shared a wonderful information about cable management supplies. Thanks for sharing this amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I actually updated a bit when I got a Pegasus Pocket Power box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article. Thanks for sharing such an useful information regarding cable management. I really like this post. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments! - Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started my new office & looking for the article based on cable management. Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would get some cables from Pegasus Astro and Agena Astro.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is extremely nice to see the greatest details presented about cable management and telescope setup in an easy and understandable manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Robert!

      Delete
  10. Very important Information for us. This is my first visit to your website. Get more information patch panel and cable management.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog on cable management and telescope setup is a fantastic resource, offering practical tips

    ReplyDelete