Monday, January 29, 2018

Ha Processing Difficulties

I have recently been shooting Ha-images with a 7 nm Astronmik clip in filter and a Canon T3i/600D modified camera. The setup is attached to an Orion ED80 f/7.5 refractor.  I have seen other Ha images with quite stunning results and my images look much less impressive.  There is more detail than the RGB image I took but I hopping for more.

Here are images of 5.8 hrs (140 x 150s, ISO1600) on the Horsehead Nebula:
Image 1 - DSS raw exposures default settings
Image 2 - DSS raw exposures super pixel mode
Image 3 - DSS tiff exposures default settings

I have been converting all of my RGB images to tiff and then stacking them as I like the way the stars look better.  The Tiff method does look smoother, however, stacking raw images seems to give more detail in Ha.  It is just the crunchy look that I am concerned with. Not sure if it my camera or if my processing is horrible.  I should mention my camera is a 5-year old work horse and I plan on getting a new monochrome CMOS as soon as finances are available.  If any one has any thoughts I would appreciate them. Cheers Kurt 

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

No comments:

Post a Comment