Thursday, December 27, 2012

Frying Calamari in Batter



Our Christmas Eve dinner consists of a variety fish and pasta of which I claim no credit or preparing.  I was watching my sister-in-law, Pattaya, fry calamari and was of course interested in understanding what the heck was going on as she was dipping each piece in flour and then into a yummy batter.  She explained (and then demonstrated as shown in the 1st couple of seconds of the video) that the batter simply drips off the calamari and therefore dips it into the flour first as it makes the batter sticks better.

This makes sense as calamari is quite slippery due to its oily nature.  Flour, being a fine powder made from grain contains starches which stick to most liquids and allows the batter to stick to the calamari.  The end result was delicious!  Also thanks to my sister and my wife for making this dinner possible.

sources:
chemistrydaily

No comments:

Post a Comment